Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie - Cherry-Fudge Brownie Torte

Hi All! I am back from my trip to Germany and Ireland and I had a wonderful time. It's good to be baking again! :)

This weeks recipe was chosen by April of Short + rose, and it's a combination of chocolate and cherries. I love chocolate, but not so much cherries. However, my hubby loves cherries so I decided to bake this recipe for him. I seriously thought about skipping it when I started looking over the ingredients...I had no kirsch, no mascarpone cheese, no cherries, no cherry preserves. What pushed me into making it anyway was that I have missed two TWD's this month and didn't want to miss another one. :}


My local grocery store had the cherries and preserves, but no kirsch and no mascarpone cheese. So, I decided to use white wine instead and went with whipped cream cheese instead of the regular cream cheese and the mascarpone.


The brownie part gave me some trouble. I baked it for an hour and 5 minutes, and when I flipped it out of the pan, the very middle was still very soft. Not totally unbaked, but mushy. Then of course, there was the problems with the topping. I think it was supposed to have been runny to later firm up? Well, mine was soft and fluffy; it didn't pour onto the brownie, I spread it on. SinceI had done  everything else different than the recipe up to this point, I also added some cherry filling I had on hand (kind of like jam) to the whipped cream cheese, and spread a thin layer of it on the brownie before I spread on the topping.

The verdict?  I wasn't crazy about this one and probably won't make it again. My hubby said the cherries were too tart for his liking, though I noticed he ate the whole slice I gave him. I liked the topping I came up with the best. Well, I also liked the brownie, but only the parts without cherries, and there aren't too many of them.


If you want to see what the other bakers thought, head over to TWD, As for me, I always like trying new recipes, but I think this one will be a one time only for me.

9 comments:

  1. It looks yummy. I wasn't a huge fan of this either. I picked out the cherries so I wouldn't have to eat them. My husband also said it was just okay but has been eating non-stop since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, it looks delicious! Am with you on the cherries--I skipped them all together. I would definitely make the cream cheese mousse again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your torte looks yummy and the topping so creamy. I'm envious of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a wonderful vacation! I'm sorry this one wasn't a huge hit, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you didn't care for this one too much but it certainly looks delish. The chocolate and the frosting are the main part so the rest doesn't matter so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad you didn't like this too much, but they can't all be favorites. Your mousse sounds really good. Mine was definitely spreadable but not pourable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad you didn't enjoy it. Your torte does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks tasty! i didn't make it because there were tooooo many things i had to buy and i just didn't think it was worth the time and money if i had no where fancy to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brownie torte looks yummy! I like the cream cheese topping sounds tasty too! Love your brown leaf plate! =)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love hearing from others.