Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sweet Melissa Sunday - Devil's Food Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting


I'm back! And, just in time to bake this wonderful dessert. This week's choice is Devil's Food Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting and it was chosen by Holly of Phe/Mom/enon. Thank you Holly!  I love peanut butter and chocolate and this one did not disappoint.

The cake was very easy to put together and smelled delicious while baking. I was a bit taken back by the 6 sticks of butter in the frosting recipe, but stuck to the recipe as stated. I think in the future I will cut back on the butter a bit. The peanut butter taste came through, even though there is only a 1/2 cup of peanut butter in the frosting, but I found the frosting too rich, too buttery. Even my hubby, who seldom finds anything "too much" said the frosting was extremely rich.


The cake is fudge-like, almost like a brownie. The chocolate flavor is deep and intense. It was moist and delicious! I will use this devil's food cake recipe the next time I need a chocolate cake to impress.


So, thanks again Holly! I loved it, and would definitely make it again.Head over to Sweet Melissa Sunday's if you would like to see what the other SMS bakers thought

13 comments:

  1. pretty! I agree though, the frosting was too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your cake..now! That is how I visioned mine to turn out but I really messed it up not putting the coffee or liquid to replace it in. The Peanut butter frosting was so good and I think I could eat it by the spoonfuls!I love how dark and rich your cake looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yums! Your cake came out so nice and dark!! Very very delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your did a great job with this cake!

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks great. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan - Welcome Back!

    Your cake looks beautiful!!! I ended up using Karen's recipe for the frosting. I couldn't bring myself to use SIX sticks of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad someone stuck to the original frosting recipe so we could see if it actually worked.

    I love your cake, so pretty!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks beautiful! The frosting, may have been too much, but is looks dreamy and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan--welcome back! Your cake looks delicious!! Beautiful job. 6 sticks of butter?? YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If this tastes as good as it looks then it must be delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i skipped the frosting because the cake itself was moist and rich, plus i'm just not a fan of 6 sticks of butter in my frosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely layer cake, definitely a good one to come back with! I made a modified version of the frosting and loved it; I definitely recommend more peanut butter and less butter.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love hearing from others.