Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie - Tarte Noire

I recently posted a picture of this tart on Tumblr and as of now, only 8 hours later, it has been re-blogged over 100 times. So, I thought I would re-post the original post, with the recipe, for anyone who might have missed it the first time. This is a Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, from her book "Baking, from my home to yours". If you could only have one baking cookbook, this is the one to have.
Hello again! I hope that this finds everyone well and rested after a big holiday weekend. Did you have a cookout? Did you watch a fireworks show? Did you spend time with friends and family? I did all of that and also played in the pool, slept late, and, made one of the best desserts I have made in a long time. What dessert would that be you ask? It was this weeks TWD choice, Tarte Noire, that Dharmagirl of bliss: towards a delicious life picked.  If she lived closer I would visit her so I could kiss her for choosing such a fabulous recipe. Well, I probably wouldn't kiss her, but I would definitely hug her or shake her hand or something. This may be my favorite recipe so far. I kid you not. Please drop by Dharmagirl's blog and get the recipe. You won't be sorry.

We had my hubby's best friend come and stay with us for the weekend. He arrived on Saturday and settled in for the festivities. We cooked steaks on the grill...nice juicy rib-eyes. Some corn and some baked fries rounded out the meal. We went out in the field after dinner and had our own little fireworks show. My hubby set off the fireworks while I snapped photos and the hubby's best friend shot video.

The guys hopped in the pool after the fireworks show and floated around for a while. I passed...it was a bit too cool for me to get in the water. Then, before bed, I served the two of them a slice of the Tarte Noire. They loved it! They both scarfed it down in what seemed like seconds, and all but licked the plates clean. I like it when something I make brings such a satisfied expression to my hubby's face, not to mention his friend's face(who, after all these years, is also my friend).

I put this recipe together in no time early Saturday morning. I decided to make the chocolate shortbread crust and it came together quickly and perfectly in my food processor. I baked it after letting it sit in the freezer for 30 minutes. When I pulled it from the oven, to cool before adding the ganache, I got the brilliant idea to cover the bottom of the crust with a thin layer of caramel! I thought about nuts, but decided to just go with the caramel.

The ganache came together as easily as the crust, becoming this dark, shiny, smooth bowl of deliciousness. :) I used a combination of bitter-sweet and semi-sweet chocolate and poured it over the caramel in the crust. Put the tarte in the fridge for 30 minutes to set up and then sliced a piece for myself  a picture. Yeah, that's it. For a picture. :)

I also tasted it, just to see if it was okay before serving it to the guys later that night. Couldn't serve them something I hadn't checked was edible, right? The ganache was silky smooth and  so creamy. Not too sweet. Rich and delicious! The caramel underneath was a perfect touch, adding just a little sweetness and texture to the chocolate. And, the crust? Crunchy, tender, buttery, chocolate-y, and perfect against the creamy chocolate and chewy caramel. With as easy as this was to put together, I can see making it again and again. I wonder if you could do a white chocolate version. Almonds would be wonderful in this too. Maybe in the crust. Of course, it was fabulous just as I did it, and I would certainly make it the same again.

So, a really big, BIG thanks to Dharmagirl for this weeks pick. Just awesome! And, check out what the others thought of it by clicking here. :)

29 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! I'm looking forward to baking one when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tart. I liked the not so sweet taste. Sometimes, these leave a cloying taste as an aftertaste. This did not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I need to make this again, with caramel this time - darn it! Your tart looks great! Glad that hubby and his friend enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was delicious-and even more spectacular with caramel!

    Your tart came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel - what a brilliant idea. I just rushed through the baking to get to the eating, but you really thought about it and created something special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tart looks lovely! And I love the fireworks pictures. I can never get any to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tart looks fantastic! I think that caramel would be a perfect addition to this oh-so-chocolaty dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I get that "moment" you spoke of when the people you love enjoy with pleasure the love you share in your baking. Its fun! Beautiful photos and of course beautiful tart. I love how your changed it up and added caramel sweeteness to your chocolate duo. Yum who wouldn't love that? I'm not much for cold water either, unless its blistering hot weather. hehe What a fun 4th you all must have had. Neat!
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking tart! I have some caramel sauce but didn't think to use it! Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! Love your fireworks pics too. Glad you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. caramel. YES. That's what this needed--some nice salty buttery caramel. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first week since I joined TWD that I didn't bake the recipe of the week. It is just tooooo hot where I live and besides, my freezer is full of uneaten chocolate goodies. But your tarte with the caramel drizzled on is gorgeous. When the weather cools off, I'll be baking this and adding caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful presentation! I love that caramel striping! Such great variations going on here with everyone's tart. Glad you house guest was able to sample this wonderful tart (or hopefully had a BIG piece)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As if this tart wasn't sinful enough, you added caramel. You, my friend are a genius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, I'm not sure if you liked it... :-) I'm in awe of your silky smooth and shiny ganache.

    If you had added the nuts it would have been like the caramel crunched tart we made a while back. Remember that one?

    It sounds like you had a wonderful 4th. Your fireworks photos are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *om nom nom*. I can only imagine what these would taste like with the caramel base. delicious beyond words i expect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful tart!! I'm glad everyone loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a a wonderful idea to add caramel under the ganache and then over the top. YUM - almonds in the crust would b GREAT!!
    That looks spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the fireworks - thanks for sharing your pics!! The caramel on top of this tart would have been fabulous - chocolate + caramel = heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a truly incredible tarte noire....wow...it looks so smooth and creamy!!
    perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so delicious! We took a little road trip for the 4th of July. 5 states and 1000 miles later, we're home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the caramel! It adds a different flavor dimension to the chocolate. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yep, we did all those things and had a great holiday weekend. Your tart is perfection...everything from the crust to the filling to the extras! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your tart looks gorgeous! And thosde pics of the fireworks are amazing! So glad everyone enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, you got a mirror finish on yours... very nice! I'll bet that was good with some caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy cow, your photos are fabulous, the caramel adds a heavenly touch. I love ganache. I can't believe I didn't make this! Someday.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love hearing from others.